Please note that the dates listed below are for the 2018 application cycle. They will be updated for the 2019 application cycle soon. Most of the other information on SAFLI listed below will remain accurate in 2019.
The South Asian Flagship Languages Initiative (SAFLI) offers Boren Scholarship applicants the opportunity for intensive language study of Hindi or Urdu and cultural immersion through domestic and overseas language programs.
- SAFLI welcomes applicants with no language proficiency in Hindi or Urdu, as well as those who are intermediate or advanced speakers.
- SAFLI students participate in a full-time domestic summer program at the University of Wisconsin. The program is funded through the Boren Scholarship.
- SAFLI students then participate a full-time overseas program, administered by American Councils for International Education. This takes place at the American Institute of Indian Studies in Jaipur (Hindi) or Urdu (Lucknow).
- Applicants should note that the summer and fall programs are full-time language and culture programs. Applicants are encouraged to request funding to stay in India after the fall program is complete. During that time, students participate in study abroad programs that they identify on their own and note in the Boren application. These programs must include language study, but may also include additional coursework, academic internships and/or research.
- Boren Scholarship Application Questions: email@example.com or 800-618-NSEP
- Domestic or Overseas Program Content/Visa Questions: See http://sasli.wisc.edu/SAFLI.html or contact the programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-265-1471
Boren Scholarship applicants interested in the South Asia Flagship Languages Initiative should follow the regular application instructions, while also following the below guidelines.
Study Abroad Program and Budget
- If you are planning to extend into the spring program, choose “yes” for “Are you planning on participating in separate study abroad programs.”
- Select “South Asian Flagship Languages Initiative” as your preferred study abroad program sponsor.
- Enter SAFLI as your preferred study abroad program name.
- Select American Institute of Indian Studies as the overseas institution.
- Enter 8/17/18 as the overseas start date.
- Enter 11/29/18 as the overseas end date, if you are not going to extend into the spring. Use the appropriate overseas end date for your full program, if you are going to extend into the spring.
- DO NOT include the dates for the summer program. (For your information, the start date will be June 19.)
- Choose Hindi or Urdu – whichever is appropriate – for your language.
- Select “yes” for “Are you applying for the South Asian Flagship Languages Initiative.”
- Choose “yes” for the following question, indicating that you will participate in the summer program.
- If you are planning to extend into the spring, on a program you are selecting yourself, complete the “study abroad program II” section.
- DO NOT complete the alternate study abroad program section.
- DO NOT include any summer costs in your budget (the Boren Scholarship will fully fund the summer program as an additional supplement to the overseas funding.)
- If your overseas program will be fall-only, enter $0 as all of your costs (the Boren Scholarship will fully fund the fall program).
- If you are planning to extend past 11/29/2018, enter your overseas budget for 11/30/2018 through the end of your proposed dates.
We have archived our special-interest webinars for later viewing.
The South Asian Flagship Languages Initiative (SAFLI) (recorded Nov. 16, 2017)