African Flagship Languages Initiative (AFLI) applicants for Akan/Twi, Wolof, and Zulu must participate in the official summer AFLI program at the University of Florida. This full-time program is appropriate for those with no previous experience in the language, as well as those at a novice or intermediate level.
Because there are no official AFLI overseas programs for these languages, applicants must identify an appropriate study abroad program in which they can study the appropriate language. The program may start no later than September 15.
Boren Scholarship applicants interested in AFLI should follow the regular application instructions, while also following the below guidelines.
Study Abroad Program and Budget
- Select your preferred study abroad program sponsor.
- Enter your preferred study abroad program name.
- Enter your overseas program start (no later than September 15) and end date. DO NOT include the dates for the summer program.
- Choose the appropriate language.
- Select “yes” for “Are you applying for the African Flagship Languages Initiative.”
- Choose yes for the following question, indicating that you will participate in the summer program (required if you are applying through AFLI).
- Complete the alternate study abroad program section, if you have one.
- Complete your overseas budget. DO NOT include costs for the summer program. Please note that you will be fully funded for the summer program, should you be awarded the Boren Scholarship.