Boren Fellowships

<p>Boren Fellowships enable U.S. graduate students to add an important international and language component to their graduate education through specialization in area study, language study, or increased language proficiency. The Boren Fellowship supports students studying languages, cultures, and world regions other than Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. </p>

10. May I apply to study in a country with a State Department Travel Warning?

Yes. You may study in a country with a current State Department Travel Warning; however, if you decide to do so, you must be willing to sign a waiver. In certain countries, further restrictions may apply, including possible outright prohibition on using the Boren Fellowship in a particular country. In such cases, IIE will work with the Fellow to find an alternate program. Information about active travel warnings is available on the State Department website.


9. If I cannot go overseas for 6 months or longer, should I still apply?

Yes. While the Boren Fellowships have a preference for 6 months or longer overseas, applicants proposing overseas programs of 3-6 months, especially those in the STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) fields are encouraged to apply.  In your application, explain why you have chosen to go overseas for a shorter period, whether it is because of your class sequence, participation in a particular sport, familial responsibilities, or other compelling reasons.

8. If my proposed country, language, and/or field of study is not on the preferred list, should I still apply?

We encourage applications for study in non-preferred countries, languages, and fields of study when the applicant can make a compelling argument that increased understanding and appreciation of that particular country, language, and/or field of study contributes to U.S. national security and the goals of the Boren Fellowship.

4. May I apply for a Boren Fellowship if I have applied to graduate school but have not yet been accepted?

If you are in the process of applying to graduate schools, you may also apply for a Boren Fellowship. In your Boren Fellowship application, you will need to indicate the graduate programs to which you have applied. If you are selected for a fellowship, the award will be contingent upon your acceptance into a graduate program, and you will be required to provide IIE with proof of matriculation before any Boren Fellowship funds are disbursed.

3. Must I be an enrolled graduate student to receive a Boren Fellowship?

You must be matriculated at an accredited U.S. institution of higher education located within the United States, and be in the process of pursing a graduate degree at the time the award begins. Boren Fellows must remain matriculated in their graduate programs for the duration of the fellowship. Universities will usually allow students to maintain matriculation while they are abroad pursuing curricula outside the standard requirements. The option of registering for independent study or directed reading credits during the semester(s) of absence from the home institution is available.


Subscribe to RSS - Boren Fellowships