University of Miami
On-Campus Scholarship Deadline
UM undergraduate applicants for the Boren Scholarship must apply by the campus deadline: January 18, 2016.
While graduate students applying for the Boren Fellowship are not required to submit applications to be formally reviewed by the UM campus representative, they are encouraged to make an appointment with the Office of Prestigious Awards and Fellowships for guidance and feedback.
UM undergraduate applicants for Boren Scholarship Program must submit the application materials in the following way to the Office of Prestigious Awards and Scholarships no later than January 20, 2015 (Campus Deadline): To be submitted online at the Boren Website: www.borenawards.org:
• Boren Application – You must submit your application online by the campus deadline. Submitting your application will allow the UM Boren Campus Representative to view it and share it with the UM Scholarship and Fellowship Committee. By submitting your application on-line, you are NOT sending it to the Boren Scholarship Coordinators in Washington D.C. This will be done in February, after the UM Committee has reviewed your application. You will have an opportunity to make changes to your application between the campus and national deadlines; however the Committee’s rating of your application will be based on the application submitted by the campus deadline. To be submitted directly to the Office of Prestigious Awards and Fellowships:
• 2- 3 Letters of Reference. (Tip: Provide your recommenders with at least a preliminary draft of your Boren essays, so they have a clear idea of your motivations and can address how your abilities and interests match the goals of the Boren program – this is very important!) Letters must be e-mailed as an attachment to email@example.com or delivered to the Office of Prestigious Awards and Scholarships by the campus deadline. Letters arriving via campus mail should be sent at least 5 business days before the deadline to the following address: o Office of Prestigious Awards and Fellowships Attn: April Dobbins 1204 Dickinson Drive, Suite 37-K Coral Gables, Florida 33124 (Locator Code: 5595)
• Official transcripts of all universities or colleges attended (unless these grades appear on your UM transcript). Freshmen must also include high school transcripts.
• One page study abroad program description for each program (preferred and alternate, this can be a ‘cut and paste’ from program website) or two letters of support for direct enrollment or individually arranged programs
• Language self-assessment form (available at www.borenawards.org)
• Language proficiency form (optional, but strongly recommended)
The University’s Scholarship and Fellowship committee will review the materials and eligible candidates will be interviewed in late January. The committee will provide feedback on the application and complete the confidential Student Rating form. The Student Rating form will be included in the student’s complete application packet which will be sent to the Institute of International Education in Washington DC by the national Boren Scholarship deadline in February 2015. Applicants will have an opportunity between the campus and national deadlines to make edits to their application based on the Committee’s feedback. Feel free to contact our office at (305) 284-5384 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
January 18, 2016
Boren Scholarship (undergraduate) application materials must be submitted to the Office of Prestigious Awards and Fellowships for review.
Late January 2016
Boren Fellowship (graduate) application materials must be received by the foundation.
Early February 2016
Completed Boren Scholarship (undergraduate) applications must be received by the foundation along with Campus Reviewers form.