The Indonesian Flagship Language Initiative (IFLI) offers Boren Scholarship applicants the opportunity for intensive language study of Indonesian and cultural immersion through domestic and overseas language programs.
- IFLI welcomes applicants with no language proficiency in Indonesian, as well as those who are intermediate or advanced speakers.
- IFLI students participate in a full-time domestic summer program at the University of Wisconsin. The program is funded through the Boren Scholarship.
- IFLI students then participate a full-time overseas program, administered by American Councils for International Education. This takes place at the State University of Malang (UM), Indonesia.
- Applicants should note that the summer and fall programs are full-time language and culture programs. Applicants are encouraged to request funding to stay in Indonesia after the fall program is complete. During that time, students participate in study abroad programs that they identify on their own and note in the Boren application. These programs must include language study, but may also include additional coursework, academic internships and/or research.
- Boren Scholarship Application Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-618-NSEP
- Domestic or Overseas Program Content/Visa Questions: Contact the program at email@example.com or 608-263-1755
- Overseas Program Contact Questions: American Councils for International Education; 202-833-7522 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- IFLI Program Website
Boren Scholarship applicants interested in the Indonesian Flagship Language Initiative should follow the regular application instructions, while also following the below guidelines.
Study Abroad Program and Budget
- If you are planning to extend into the spring program, choose “yes” for “Are you planning on participating in separate study abroad programs.”
- Select “Indonesian Flagship Language Initiative” as your preferred study abroad program sponsor.
- Enter IFLI as your preferred study abroad program name.
- Select State University of Malang as the overseas institution.
- Enter 8/22/19 as the overseas start date.
- Enter 12/5/19 as the overseas end date, if you are not going to extend into the spring. Use the appropriate overseas end date for your full program, if you are going to extend into the spring.
- DO NOT include the dates for the summer program. (For your information, the summer program will begin on June 17.)
- Choose Indonesian for your language.
- Select “yes” for “Are you applying for the Indonesian Flagship Language Initiative.”
- Choose “yes” for the following question, indicating that you will participate in the summer program.
- If you are planning to extend into the spring, on a program you are selecting yourself, complete the “study abroad program II” section.
- DO NOT complete the alternate study abroad program section.
- DO NOT include any summer costs in your budget (the Boren Scholarship will fully fund the summer program as an additional supplement to the overseas funding.)
- If your overseas program will be fall-only, enter $0 as all of your costs (the Boren Scholarship will fully fund the fall program).
- If you are planning to extend past 12/5/2019, enter your overseas budget for 12/6/2019 through the end of your proposed dates. The maximum additional funding that Boren Scholars may receive for the optional extension is $10,000.
- The Boren Awards do not cover visa or residency permit fees.
We have archived our special-interest webinars for later viewing.