African Flagship Languages Initiative (AFLI) applicants for Swahili participate in the official summer AFLI program at the University of Florida, as well as the official fall AFLI program in Tanzania administered by American Councils for International Education and hosted at MS-TCDC.
These programs are appropriate for those with no previous experience in the language, as well as those at a novice or intermediate level. While the Boren Awards encourage all applicants to participate in both the summer and fall programs, those who are at an ACTFL intermediate-mid or above level, may skip the summer program.
Applicants should note that the summer and fall programs are full-time language and culture programs. Applicants are encouraged to request funding to stay in Tanzania after the fall program is complete, either through the official internship in Arusha or in a self-identified program. These programs must include language study, but may also include additional coursework, academic internships, and/or research.
Boren Fellowship applicants interested in the AFLI should follow the regular application instructions, while also following the below guidelines.
Program Information and Budget
- Choose the appropriate language.
- Select “yes” for “Are you applying for the African Flagship Languages Initiative.”
- Choose yes for the following question, indicating that you will participate in the summer program (required if you are applying through AFLI).
- Select “African Flagship Languages Initiative” as your overseas affiliation. If you will extend into the spring, enter your additional affiliation into the appropriate field.
- Select MS-TCDC as the overseas institution.
- Select “Overseas/Domestic” for your program composition (unless your proficiency allows you to skip the summer program).
- Enter 6/6/18 as the domestic start date. (unless your proficiency allows you to skip the summer program).
- Enter 8/14/18 as the overseas start date.
- Overseas end date
- Enter 11/22/18 as the overseas end date, if you are not going to extend into the spring.
- Enter 3/31/18 if you are going to extend into the spring through the official internship.
- Use the appropriate overseas end date for your full program, if you are going to extend into the spring on a program that is not the official internship.
- For the budget, please enter $0 for all summer and fall costs, as well as the official spring internship (these programs will be fully funded and will be added to your award amount). If you are planning to extend past 11/22/2018 through a program that is not the official internship, enter your overseas budget for 11/23/18 through the end of your proposed dates.
- The Boren Awards do not cover visa or residency permit fees.