Please note that the dates listed below are for the 2018 application cycle. They will be updated for the 2019 application cycle soon. Most of the other information on SAFLI listed below will remain accurate in 2019.
The South Asian Flagship Languages Initiative (SAFLI) offers Boren Fellowships applicants the opportunity for intensive language study of Hindi or Urdu and cultural immersion through domestic and overseas language programs.
- SAFLI welcomes applicants with no language proficiency in Hindi or Urdu, as well as those who are intermediate or advanced speakers.
- SAFLI students participate in a full-time domestic summer program at the University of Wisconsin. The program is funded through the Boren Fellowships.
- SAFLI students then participate a full-time overseas program, administered by American Councils for International Education. This takes place at the American Institute of Indian Studies in Jaipur (Hindi) or Urdu (Lucknow).
- Applicants should note that the summer and fall programs are full-time language and culture programs. Applicants are encouraged to request funding to stay in India after the fall program is complete. During that time, students participate in programs they have identified on their own. These programs must include language study, but may also include additional coursework, academic internships and/or research.
- Boren Fellowships Application Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-618-NSEP
- Domestic or Overseas Program Content/Visa Questions: See http://sasli.wisc.edu/SAFLI.html or contact the programs at email@example.com or 608-265-1471
Boren Fellowship applicants interested in the South Asia Flagship Languages Initiative should follow the regular application instructions, while also following the below guidelines.
Program Information and Budget
- Choose Hindi or Urdu (whatever is appropriate) as your language.
- Select “yes” for “Are you applying for the South Asian Flagship Languages Initiative.”
- Choose “yes” for the following question, indicating that you will participate in the summer program. The summer program is required for Hindi/Urdu.
- Select “South Asian Languages Flagship Initiative” as your overseas affiliation. If you will extend into the spring, enter your additional affiliation into the appropriate field.
- Select American Institute of Indian Studies as the overseas institution.
- Select “Overseas/Domestic” for your program composition.
- Enter 6/18/18 as the domestic start date.
- Enter 8/17/18 as the overseas start date.
- Enter 11/29/18 as the overseas end date, if you are not going to extend into the spring. Use the appropriate overseas end date for your full program, if you are going to extend into the spring.
- For the budget, please enter $0 for all summer and fall costs (these programs will be fully funded and will be added to your award amount). If you are planning to extend past 11/29/2018, enter your overseas budget for 11/30/2018 through the end of your proposed dates.
- The Boren Awards do not cover visa or residency permit fees. For more information about the Boren Fellowship budget section, click here.
We have archived our special-interest webinars for later viewing.
The South Asian Flagship Languages Initiative (SAFLI) (recorded Nov. 16, 2017)