Boren Fellowships - Where Can I Study?

Boren Fellows may study abroad in Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East.  Students may apply to study in any country outside of the United States, Western Europe, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand.  Multi-country comparative studies must be well justified.

The program will give preference to applicants planning to study in one of the emphasized countries in green.  We do not anticipate sending students to the countries in blue in 2019. You may still apply for a 2019 Boren Award to study in one of these countries; however, you must include a viable alternate plan in another appropriate country for the same language of study.  Please visit our preferred countries of study for more information.

Note: Boren Fellows may only study in a country with a Level 3 U.S. State Department Travel Advisory if they are willing to sign a waiver.  In certain countries, further restrictions may apply, including possible outright prohibition on using the Boren Fellowship in a particular country. In such cases, IIE will work with the Fellow to find an alternate program. Information about travel warnings is available on the State Department website.

Find your campus representative


learn more