Fellowship FAQ's

These are the Frequently Asked Questions for the Boren Fellowship.

17. Can Boren Fellowships be combined with funding from other sources?

You can receive additional awards provided that there is no duplication of support in requested budget line-items. Boren Fellows who receive scholarship funding to support their study abroad must notify IIE about their award(s). In some cases, reduced financial need as a result of increased support may impact the amount of the Boren Fellowship.

14. I currently work for the federal government. Can I apply for a Boren Fellowship?

Current employees of the federal government may apply for a Boren Fellowship. Recipients of the award, however, may not be employees of a federal agency during their Boren-funded study period. A Fellow who was previously an employee of the federal government must provide proof that he or she is separated from that agency. In addition, ROTC students, military reservists,
and members of the National Guard must confirm inactive, non-drilling status
during the Boren-funded period.

13. May I apply for a Boren Fellowship before I have a letter of overseas affiliation?

Yes, we recognize that it may be difficult to receive a letter of overseas affiliation by the time of application; therefore, the letter is not required at that time. Applicants should use the essays to describe their overseas plans. Applicants who do have a letter from an academic institution, research institute, or non-governmental organization should include it in the application.

10. May I apply to study in a country with a State Department Travel Warning?

Yes. You may study in a country with a current State Department Travel Warning; however, if you decide to do so, you must be willing to sign a waiver. In certain countries, further restrictions may apply, including possible outright prohibition on using the Boren Fellowship in a particular country. In such cases, IIE will work with the Fellow to find an alternate program. Information about active travel warnings is available on the State Department website.


9. If I cannot go overseas for 6 months or longer, should I still apply?

Yes. While the Boren Fellowships have a preference for 6 months or longer overseas, applicants proposing overseas programs of 3-6 months, especially those in the STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) fields are encouraged to apply.  In your application, explain why you have chosen to go overseas for a shorter period, whether it is because of your class sequence, participation in a particular sport, familial responsibilities, or other compelling reasons.


Subscribe to RSS - Fellowship FAQ's