14. May I apply to study in a country with a State Department Travel Warning?

Yes. The policy of IIE and NSEP is to allow Boren Scholars to study in countries with State Department Travel Warnings, if their home institutions’ policies allow for such study. If you wish to study in one of these countries, you must sign a waiver, and the appropriate official from your home institution must document the institution’s policy and compliance with our institutional travel warning form before the overseas program begins. In certain countries, further restrictions may apply, including possible outright prohibition on using the Boren Scholarship in a particular country. In such cases, IIE will work with the Scholar to find an alternate program. Information about active travel warnings is available on the State Department website.


Find your campus representative


learn more