Boren Scholarships: Summer Initiative for STEM Majors
The Boren Scholarships offer a special initiative for undergraduate STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) majors. The scholarships fund up to $8,000 for summer study (minimum of 8 weeks) for students majoring in the STEM fields.
All other applicants must plan to study overseas for at least a semester. STEM field majors are also encouraged to apply for semester and year programs.
Options While Overseas
All students applying for Boren Scholarships are expected to have a significant language component as part of their proposed study abroad program. Although many STEM students choose study abroad programs that offer courses in STEM fields, it is not required. Options include the following.
- Language Study Only: Study abroad program may focus entirely on language study.
- Language Study with Academic Coursework: Study abroad programs may include language study as well as other academic coursework. Depending on the program, this coursework may or may not be within the applicant’s major.
- Language Study with a STEM-Related Internship: Some students focus on language study, while also incorporating a STEM-related internship to their overseas plan. As a reminder, all internships should be academic in nature, unpaid, and with a non-governmental organization.
The resources listed below may help STEM students to create appropriate overseas plans:
- Visit our Choosing Your Study Abroad Program page to see additional resources and considerations. We suggest consulting with your home institution’s study abroad, financial aid, and academic advisor offices; your Boren Campus Representative; and IIE Passport.
- Browse our STEM Student Profiles to see what Boren STEM Awardees have done in the past.