South Asian Flagship Languages Initiative (SAFLI)
The South Asian Flagship Languages Initiative (SAFLI) offers Boren Scholarship applicants the opportunity for intensive language study of Hindi and Urdu and cultural immersion by participating in domestic and overseas language programs. The SAFLI program is appropriate for applicants with no language proficiency as well as those with intermediate and advanced proficiency in Hindi or Urdu.
SAFLI applicants must plan to enroll in the official domestic summer program at the University of Wisconsin, and if awarded, will receive funding for the domestic program. The domestic funding has no impact on the maximum amount for overseas funding. The domestic summer program will be followed by the official SAFLI fall program in India. The official overseas fall program is administered through American Councils for International Education and will take place at the American Institute of Indian Studies in Jaipur (Hindi) and Lucknow (Urdu).
Awardees are also encouraged to stay overseas through the spring semester and must identify a study abroad program on their own, which provides language learning opportunities.
Application InstructionsSAFLI applicants should follow the regular application instructions, while also following the SAFLI-specific guidelines below.
Eligibility and Basic Information
- Choose India as the proposed country of study.
Study Abroad Program and Budget
- If you are planning to extend into the spring program, choose “yes” for “Are you planning on participating in separate study abroad programs.”
- Select “South Asian Flagship Languages Initiative” as your preferred study abroad program sponsor.
- Enter SAFLI as your preferred study abroad program name.
- Select American Institute of Indian Studies as the overseas institution.
- Overseas program start and end dates will be available in mid fall. For now, use 8/15/17 as the start date and 12/1/17 as the end date. DO NOT include the dates for the summer program.
- Choose Hindi or Urdu – whichever is appropriate – for your language.
- Select “yes” for “Are you applying for the South Asian Flagship Languages Initiative.”
- Choose “yes” for the following question, indicating that you will participate in the summer program.
- If you are planning to extend into the spring, on a program you are selecting yourself, complete the “study abroad program II” section.
- DO NOT complete the alternate study abroad program section.
- Complete your overseas budget for either the fall only or the fall/spring. (SAFLI fall budget information is not currently available. Should you need to submit the application before this information is available, simply use $0. The Boren Team will update all budgets later, and the fall program will be fully funded.)
- The Boren Awards do not cover visa or residency permit fees. For more information about the Boren Scholarship budget section, click here.
- DO NOT include costs or dates for the summer program. Please note that Boren Scholars will receive approximatly $8,000 to cover the tuition, room, and board, for the summer program. For your information, the summer program is from June 12 - August 5.
For additional questions
Boren Scholarships: email@example.com or 800-618-NSEP