Boren Scholarship - How to Apply
- Contact your Boren campus representative for your on-campus deadline. Continue to work with your campus representative during the application process.
- Submit the Boren Scholarship application, which includes the items listed below. Before starting the online application, remember to read the application instructions.
- Submit the following supplementary materials to your campus representative. If you do not have a campus representative, you may send them directly to IIE.
- Completed letters of reference. Letters of reference must be signed, original letters in an envelope with the signature across the seal, when they are submitted to your campus representative or IIE. Two letters are required, and you may include a third optional letter. Click here for advice about getting strong letters of reference.
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Freshmen must also include high school transcripts. Transcripts are acceptable if they are official transcripts, student copies of official transcripts, or photocopies of official transcripts. If you are recommended for a Boren Scholarship, IIE will require original, sealed, and official transcripts at that time.
Degree progress reports and web-based transcripts printed directly from your online student account are not acceptable.
- Language self-assessment - Complete this form using the Language self-assessment guide.
- Language proficiency form (optional) - Complete this form using the Language Evaluation Guidelines.
- Choose one of the following:
- One page study abroad program description with cost information. (This may be a page from the program’s website or a photocopy of part of the program brochure.)
- If you set up a direct enrollment or individually arranged study abroad program, please provide two letters of support. The first letter should be from your home institution and the second letter should be from your overseas host institution.
The online application must be submitted, and the supplementary materials should be given to your Boren campus representative, by your on-campus deadline. If you do not have a campus representative, the online application must be submitted, and all original supplementary materials must arrive at the following address, by the application deadline. IIE cannot confirm receipt of materials, so campus representatives and applicants should send materials using a traceable method to ensure delivery.
Institute of International Education
1400 K Street NW, 7th Floor
Washington, DC 20005